Friday, October 5, 2007

The Long Haul -- Truckin' Through Temple, TX!



I loved this snapshot of my first pit stop along my route from Austin to Boston. How much more Texas can you get than a Ford Truck, a barn painted with the likeness of the Lone Star flag, and a pasture full of bluebonnets?! The only thing I can think of is that the photographer forgot to include a half-gallon of Blue Bell ice cream in the picture. It would have looked rather nice sitting right there on the hood of that truck, and only then would it have been a more accurate representation of Texas pride at its best. At least I can enjoy a big bowl full of Blue Bell ice cream while I'm sitting here typing about it. My flavors of the day are Chocolate Brownie Overload and Banana Pudding. Yummy!



Facts about Temple, TX:

Population: approx. 120,000

History: Began as a railroad town. Temple Junction was created on 6/29/1881. Temple was named after Bernard Moore Temple, the chief engineer of the Santa Fe Railway, who never actually lived in the town that bore his name.

Nicknames from the History Book: Mudville, Tanglefoot, Ratsville (ewwww!), Progressive Temple, Prairie Queen, City of Trees

Temple Today: Temple is one of the leading medical centers in the Southwest. The city has grown steadily because of its diverse economy--agriculture, transportation, manufacturing, and medicine. The historic downtown neighborhood is a collection of fine mansions and middle-class bungalows.

Attractions:

Railroad & Heritage Museum
Czech Heritage Museum
Miller Springs Nature Center
Mother Neff State Park

Temple, on the shores of Lake Belton, is home to many city parks that would be great for picnicking, camping, and water recreation.

If I'm not mistaken, Temple, TX is also the birthplace of my very own dad. Yay, Dad!

This month I walked a total of 70 miles, so I am actually halfway between Temple and Waco, TX. By this time next month, I'll be well beyond Waco, so stay tuned to see where I end up next. It will be as much a surprise to me as it will be to you!

Only 1,877 more miles to go...

1 comment:

Kelly said...

How fun! I love this format and can't wait to see more stops along the way of your virtual jog to Boston! Your pictures and facts are enticing, Robin.