Monday, October 20, 2008

Happy Birthday, Christopher!


Saturday was Chris' birthday. Lucky for him, he also had a lot of studying to do AND it was the weekend of Stake Conference. Not a terribly fun way to spend one's birthday, I would say, so the least I could do was to *let him* stay home with the kids while I attended the adult session of Conference on Saturday night by myself. Happy birthday to you, Chris! Next year will undoubtedly be better. :)

I tried to make his birthday a little special anyway by making him a yummy breakfast on Saturday morning. Breakfast burritos are, according to Chris, a "Texas thing" that he really likes but I never make. (The sausage, potato, egg, and cheese filling turned out great and there was enough leftover that he also ate some for his birthday dinner ALONE.) In the afternoon, we took the kids out to a local pumpkin patch to enjoy some pre-Halloween festivities and we let them choose their very first pumpkins for carving.











We had our actual celebration with Chris last night, and my mom and dad joined us for that. He requested that I make a roast for his birthday dinner. I hadn't made a roast in years probably. To my surprise, his birthday dinner was probably the best meal I have made all year! So, I told him that, once a year, for his birthday, I will make him a roast. :) More likely: How many times can I make roast without burning him out on that, too? For dessert, I made Chris' favorite double-layer triple chocolate cake which we ate with vanilla ice cream. That's EXACTLY how he likes it, so I was happy to oblige. While I was making the cake earlier in the afternoon, Zachary exclaimed, "Thank you, Mommy, for making the best chocolate cake EVER!" Isn't he the best KID ever?!

After Chris opened his presents, we ate that yummy cake and ice cream and enjoyed some fine entertainment that was the highlight of the evening. Enjoy!

"Happy Birthday to Daddy!"


The encore:

6 comments:

Kristin said...

Yay, your back. Funny that our husband's birthdays are so darn close. Happy Birthday Chris!

Sarah said...

Your cake sounds yummy. You'll have to share the recipe.

Stephanie T said...

It's good to know I'm not the only one with a husband who is all about the food on his birthday. It sounded delicious!
Zachary is totally adorable! Happy Birthday Chris.

The Schwauschs said...

I can't believe how big Ashley and Zachary are getting! They are precious! I look forward to seeing ya'll again soon, we will hopefully plan a trip down around the holidays!!!!! Have a fabulous week =)

Heidi said...

I was so excited to see that you had a new post when I pulled up my bloglines! Happy Birthday Chris! Zachary singing is so cute! I love when little kids sing!

Kelly said...

Happy birthday to your hub. What a nice picture of you and the kids in the pumpkins.