Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Golden Boy


I love watching the Olympics! I look forward to the next Games before the current ones are even over...and that, I'm afraid, is going to be happening too soon for my liking. I really get bitten by the Olympic bug. Like so many others whose blog posts I have read recently, I feel so proud to be an American during this time, but I also appreciate the national pride that ALL of the participants (the athletes, their families, the coaches, the spectators, the vendors who sell roasted scorpions on a stick...everyone, really) must feel when representing their countries during the Olympic Games.

I've been letting Zachary sneak out of his room after bedtime to watch some of my favorite Olympic competitions with me. The swimming, diving and gymnastics are at the top of my list during the Summer Games. Just now, as I went and found Zachary already perched in position and ready to watch, he motioned to the TV screen (as if to excuse himself for not officially having permission to be out of bed) and, with excitement, he announced, "Look, it's Michael Phillips [sic] ...and he is winning 600 golden medals!" Yeah, it sort of seems that way, doesn't it?

Oh, I love that Zachary, too, loves the Olympics already!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

It's been exciting. I wish I could swim like that! It's so exciting to watch them compete. It was scary watching the gymnasts tonight, seeing one Asian guy take an awful fall that looked extremely painful, then have to continue in other areas.

Those {600} medals are impressive! I love it.

Robin said...

Did you know that Michael Phelps' diet consists of 12,000 calories a day? (I just read this.) Hey, if we could swim like that, we could eat like that, too. :) HA HA I like to eat, but still...that is A LOT.

I was watching the gymnastics, too, and what a night it was! I hope that the women's all-around event tonight goes better.

Kristin said...

Gymnastics and diving in Summer and figure skating and ski jumping in the winter are my favorites. I would watch them more if I got a schedule when the different events were. We just don't watch TV enough to pay attention. Thanks to you I just turned on the TV and there olympics was..Thanks for the reminder.