Monday, August 18, 2008

Pimp My Ride (and Take Off That Packing Tape While You're at it!)

Yes, two months ago, the power window broke on the driver's side of my car. Being that this was the second time this has happened within one 356-day period, I have to thank the lovely service people at my local Ford dealership for their excellent workmanship the last time I had said window replaced. Unless there is something about power windows that require that they be used excessively to avoid disrepair, I cannot imagine why I am going through this again.

Never fear! "MacGyver Dad" to the rescue! At least this happened immediately after I took my dad out for a Father's Day lunch, so he felt compelled to help me find a temporary fix for the problem. (Actually, he would have done it no matter what. That's how nice he is!) He added some shiny new "bling" in the form of a few swatches of clear packing tape, and, voila! The window has stayed up just like that for the past two months.

Unfortunately, due to our busy summer schedule, I couldn't find a convenient time to "go green" and just live without my car, but I DID stretch our dollars a little further by putting off the repair. *AND* I now have a trusty do-it-yourself solution for broken power windows! If it weren't for a couple other recent motor quirks (imaginary, I am told), I bet that tape would have stuck for at least another month.

Thanks, "MacGyver Dad" for sparing me from having to replace this window again until at least next August!

Note to Service Department: Next August is a joke. See if you can really fix it this time, will ya? Oh, and would you mind removing the tape? I hear it is no longer in style. Thanks.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

That is hilarious. I love the title. I hope your clear tape does the trick for as long as you need it to.

Heidi said...

They should at least give you some kind of discount! If it is broken again, maybe they didn't use quality parts. You should ask them if the part was the same as last time and if so, did the last part come with some kind of guarantee. Is this a window you need to use? We have a troublesome window in the John's car and we just don't open that one anymore. : )

Kristin said...

It was nice it happened in the summer so the tape was an option. It does seem like repairs often come with a warantee. Didn't this one? I too enjoyed the title. I hate getting car repairs of anykind. We only have one car so it is a huge hassle to drop off the car and pick it up.

Stephanie T said...

It's so nice havig your dad around sometimes, isn't it. Mine just picked up Rose's prescription and bananas (something Rose really wanted). It made it so nice so I didn't have to leave her to do it.