Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Polka Party -- Polkin' Around in West, TX...


Am I really dancing out here in the middle of nowhere? No, but I am moving really, REALLY slow. This month, I walked a whopping 35 miles. This trip is going to take longer than I estimated. This brings my total mileage to 105 miles. Just 1,842 more to go. Boy, am I feeling a little out of shape!

Facts about West, TX:

Population: approx. 2,695

History: Located just north of Waco, West was founded in 1882 after the completion of the Katy Railroad and became a successful railroad town. The surrounding farms still produce an abundance of wheat, maize, corn and cotton. Along with settlers from the East came Czech and German immigrants who found the surrounding fertile land to be similar to what they were familiar with back home. The town was named after Mr. Thomas West. West served as postmaster while opening the first general store and who later became a successful businessman.

Unofficial Nicknames from the History Book:
"Czech Heritage Capital of Texas",
"Home of the Official Kolache of the Texas Legislature"
"Home of Scott Podsednik of the Chicago White Sox"
"Home of Westfest"

West Today: Downtown West is most known for its Czech bakeries, gift shops and antique stores. Some of the oldtimers still can be heard speaking Czech. There's not much more to tell you about West.

Attractions in West and the Waco Area:
Westfest Polka Festival
Baylor University
Armstrong Browning Library
Bosque River Stage
Cameron Park
Cameron Park Zoo
Dr. Pepper Museum
The Earle-Harrison House and Gardens on Fifth Street
Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum
Texas Sports Hall of Fame

I hope you've enjoyed hearing about my virtual visit to West. See you next month in who knows where!

P.S. Happy Birthday, Kelly! I hope you had a wonderful day. :)

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Thank you, Robin! And thank you for the goody basket let on my porch! I love the buttons and ribbons, and those candies are some of my favorites! Thanks also for the recyclable card! You didn't have to do all that.

But I'm glad you did!

Kelly said...

Oh, I wanted to comment on the WEST, Texas, pitstop too. How fun. I want to go there for Kolaches.

I have driven past the Dr. Pepper Museum several times on my way to Oklahoma or Colorado, and have always wanted to stop and visit. I've also wanted to visit the Texas Ranger museum too, because my grand grandfather was one!

You've walked 35 miles more than I have this month. Good job!