Thursday, April 10, 2008

Ohhhhh, Fudddddge!

Is it selfish or neglectful of me to disappear for, say, an hour to go take a shower and do my hair while my kids watch cartoons? (I mean, they've been properly fed, bathed--with fruity-scented bubbles and everything, plenty of playtime included--and dressed before this point, so it's not like I don't at least TRY to put their needs ahead of my own. Oh, and trust me, they're not crying when I make them watch cartoons or play with their toys, either.) Just wondering if I am the only person for whom it takes THAT LONG to get ready for the day. I'm really not one of those people who can chop it all off or just wash-n-go. Believe me, I wish I was!

That being said, I admit that occasionally (like pretty often) things happen while I'm in the bathroom blowdrying my hair. If I wasn't keen enough to expect it now, I'd be unaware of my children's escapades until the blowdryer was turned off and I could hear again. Most of the time, these things happen in the kitchen, very often with Zachary and Ashley sandwiched between the refrigerator and the refrigerator door. Those little rascals! You would think I never feed them! (Of course, I think they do it as much to satisfy their curiosity about things I don't normally let them have--like lime juice, for example--as they do it to get into the good stuff.)

Today, I detected such a silence that made me suspicious. Before I could even get up to go check on them, Ashley wandered into the bathroom to find me, being followed by her whimpering big brother. I was prepared with kisses for any "owies" but then I heard him say that he was "stuck." That can be kind of a scary thought, right? Well, as it turned out, Zachary had raided the fridge and was helping himself to a treat when his finger got stuck...in the bottle of hot fudge. Very distressing indeed!







Stuck?






Stuck?!






STUCCCK!!!






Ahhhhhhhh! Sweet release.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

First of all you are not a neglectful mother for leaving your kids with the TV for an hour while you get ready. Right now I am guilty of leaving my kids in front of the TV/computer a bit more than that. I wont say how much more as I am too ashamed. What I do is probably wrong as I do it to waste my own day frequently. But if you have to get ready, you have to get ready. Nothing to be ashamed of there.
Second, it takes me that long to get ready to go out too. Yes, silence with children can be a very dangerous thing. Your lucky it was just fudge.

Robin said...

Oh, did I say that one hour is all the TV/computer game-playing time my kids have in a day? No, I guess I didn't, for I would be lying if I did! I wouldn't go as far as to say I TRY to waste time this way, but some days I'm definitely more productive than on others. I am sure you are this way, too.

Sarah said...

If your finger has to be stuck in something...
Are you kidding? In my house, everything is arranged according to my comfort and convenience. That's the perogative of a mother. When my girl is a mother, then she gets to have all the fun.

Kristin said...

That isn't Sarah Bowden responding is it? I thought she didn't have a blog.

Heidi said...

You ladies are too funny!!! Aren't we so lucky to have such great husbands that will work hard so we can stay home? I really do try to keep busy at home and I don't take a lot of time for myself anymore. I did when I only had one or two kids. I would read, watch TV, scrapbook, etc. Now I really am just so busy that the only real time I give myself is the time to blog and keep up with my friends' blogs. It helps me feel connected to you guys--other moms! Once in a while I do have a day when I spend time in leisure. Then I feel quilty and tell John that I wasted the day doing _________. He always says, "You didn't waste the day. You deserved that time! I'm glad you had fun ________ing." Isn't it great!

By the way, I always tell new moms to beware of silence. I check on my children way more when they are quiet.

Kelly said...

That is funny. I like his choice of snacks. I just made some no bake cookies, so Zachary and I were on the same wavelength.