Thursday, April 2, 2009

Mindbender

If it looks like barf and it smells like barf, I have no trouble identifying it as barf. But if it doesn't LOOK like barf, and it doesn't smell like ANYTHING, but your kids says it IS barf...do you believe your kid and treat him like he's sick? I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around that one.

This morning, Zachary seemed to be feeling fine, but a short while later, I found him hugging the toilet and saying that he already barfed 3 times: once in the bathroom, once in the living room and once on himself. First of all, I had to go LOOKING for it, and when I did, it just looked like water and I cleaned it up. Despite myself, I went ahead and sniffed at the clear wet spot on his shirt and was puzzled that it smelled just like water.

We had plans today to meet a friend downtown for lunch. We were just going to meet at McDonald's since that's what is most kid-friendly and she works nearby. I figured I'd take advantage of an opportunity and take the kids to ride on the train at Zilker Park, which is just down the road from where we were meeting, afterward. As long as the "barf" episode was an isolated one, I figured we could let it slide (no pun intended) and continue on our way. I bathed the kids, asking Zachary every few minutes if he felt alright and if he still wanted to go on our outing. He seemed fine and said he did. I dressed Ashley first and then went back and got him. His face looked a little pale, but I dressed him and told him to go put on his shoes. That's when Episode 2 occurred. I witnessed it with my own eyes, so I called my friend, cancelled our lunch plans and told the kids we had to stay home today. Of course, by THAT point, Zachary seems like himself again and is sorely disappointed about having to miss the train.

So there's my dilemma: If I hadn't already called my friend to cancel, I might have kept those plans, too, but I guess it's better that we not get our friend sick or risk Episode 3 occurring in a public eating establishment. On the other hand, I'm going against my better judgment and am taking the kids to ride the train anyway. I'll pack an extra shirt and a towel in the diaper bag, and what's the worst that could happen? Guess we'll find out...or, hopefully, we WON'T. Am I terrible?

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I would have made the same choice. You remember my Sam at chuch incident dont you? He threw up at church but it was like your Son..didn't smell like it didnt look like it. He had an easy gag reflex often (and he wasn't sick again either). But some parent who saw him sick in Sacrament meeting was not happy to see him in Nursery.
Better safe than sorry with restaraunts though. I will never forget the time Sam DID throw up at Chuck-a-rama. One of the most traumatizing moments of motherhood. David and Eric got to witness that one.

Robin said...

Like another friend told me today, "sick" is all relative. Some kids get themselves so worked up that they throw up. That is not the case with Zachary, but there have been times when I thought Ashley came close to it. I didn't remember reading about your episodes, but yeah, nobody wants to have their dinner disrupted by the sight of a kid getting sick. Zachary did that once (we were at home, luckily), but it was in front of Chris' parents who had only been in town for a matter of a few hours when that occurred. They were such troopers about helping get him cleaned up and all, but none of us really wanted to finish our dinner after that!