Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Welcome to the Family!

This morning, at 9 a.m. to be exact, some unfamiliar music started playing from my cell phone/alarm clock on the nightstand beside my bed. I received a text message from my brother, Steven, with the news that "It's a girl!" He and his wife, Amanda, had their ultrasound today and found out that they, too, are having a girl this summer...due approx. 3 weeks after ours. I am very excited for them (this is their first--not that I wouldn't be excited if they *hint* had a second or a third...) and I had a hunch it would be a girl. After all, their 2 cats and 1 dog are all "boys" and there needed to be a little balance in their family, in my opinion. I can just see her now, with her wrapped around her daddy's (and mommy's) little finger. She will make a beautiful addition to their family, and they will be great parents, I'm sure.

I sent a message back immediately to brag at just how intuitive I am that I KNEW it would be a girl...with an added note that it is a good thing, because Steven and Amanda's favorite colors are purple and more purple. It is tough to find cute clothes for a baby boy in purple...or ANY baby boy clothes in purple for that matter. They'd have to shop at the TCU store, and every piece of attire would have the wrong "monogram" on it or else a picture of a horny toad. Not a pretty picture, but I digress... It will be so much easier to shop for their little girl, so I sure hope that this news is 100% accurate. :) On the other hand, I guess I should feel bad that they will have a hard time dressing her in a Batman costume for Halloween... Maybe she will be the only little girl out there who insists on wearing a Batman costume with her mother to the grocery store. I shouldn't limit my new niece already by needless gender stereotyping. I'll have to get right on it and start thinking of some ideas for incorporating Batman into her early childhood. Perhaps Grandma can make her a quilt comprised of blocks of purple pansies amid a field in blocks in the dark hues of Gotham City. (Sidenote to Grandma: Please leave out the Joker, because if he gives ME the creeps, imagine traumatizing your poor granddaughter from the time she is born...or by the time she turns 5 and actually receives this quilt. I'm just teasing, Mom! You know I love you and appreciate the hard work you are doing on Zachary's quilt even as I type this. heh heh)

Anyway, so you can see that I am already finding joy in my new niece. I tried to explain to Zachary and Ashley today that they are going to have a new cousin and that her name will be Leah. Ashley seemed excited too: "A new cousin for me-a!?"

Welcome to the family, Baby Leah, and congratulations to Steven and Amanda!

3 comments:

The Schwauschs said...

Oh Robin what a sweet post! I'm so excited too, of course! I already told Steven yes she can wear a batman shirt, possibly with a pink symbol and I have to be able to at least but a bow on her head =) We are still debating on the room, we like ladybugs, but that is a red, pink and green room, and well purple reigns in this house =) We are going to register this weekend so I guess we'll decide them! Anyway thank you for such a sweet "tribute" to our little girl! Have a wonderful week!

Kristin said...

Is there a problem with batgirl? I sure had fun when my sister in law was pregnant the same time as me with my last two kids. Robin, I didn't know you knew you were having a girl! How fun! Do you have any names in mind?

Robin said...

Amanda, I am glad you enjoyed this post. Share it with Steven if you haven't already. Please do not dress Leah in too many horny toads. hee hee I can't wait to see what you register for, but I'm not necessarily waiting before I go shopping!

No, Kristin, I suppose there is nothing wrong with Batgirl, but my brother, Steven, is Bruce Wayne himself, and I don't recall hearing much about Batgirl from him. Maybe the new addition will bring some added perspective and there will be room for Batgirl after all.

Oh, and yes, we are having a girl, too! I am sorry that I didn't realize you didn't know that. Oops! We do have a name picked out. Read the story behind it in the post entitled "Sugar and Spice" from a few days ago. Thanks!