Thursday, September 6, 2007

My Austin to Boston Challenge!

I have decided to start a new program to motivate myself to exercise regularly. I am calling it my "Austin to Boston Challenge". Realizing that I needed some big-time incentive to work toward, and realizing that I probably will not be able afford to visit my sister and cousin in Boston until Chris graduates in 2 years, I decided that I will just have to WALK to Boston! Yes, I will be walking the 1,946 miles between Austin and Boston over the next year to two years (or more, depending on just how lazy I may become.) When I reach my final destination, I am going to begin planning the funnest phase of this challenge: The Reward! By the time I reach my goal, we will hopefully be in a position where we'll be able to afford for me to take the kids on an exciting vacation to Beantown. If not, I'll have to take a raincheck and cash in on my prize as soon as possible thereafter. I have a feeling, though, that I won't need to take my time. If anything, I will need some encouragement from my readers along the way.

So, here's how this will work. Today was my FIRST day of the challenge for me. From this day forward, I will keep track of how far I walk and then blog about my progress on the 6th day of each month. To make it a little more exciting, I will be sending a "postcard" from whatever point I am at in my cross-country trek so you can be a part of my virtual adventure and see what new and exciting place I am visiting that month. It will be like "Where's Waldo?" Only it will be "Where's Wobin?" Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

No matter what happens along the way, the greatest accomplishment for me will be the fact that I'm getting myself in better shape and, hopefully, as a bonus, I will reach my target weight well before I reach Boston.

Wish me luck and enjoy this adventure with me!!!

From Austin...



...to Boston!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

What Wonderful Wishes, Wobin! I'm excited for you. I can't wait until the 6th of October. But I especially can't wait for November the 6th...that's my birthday. Maybe you will be somewhere exciting.

Thanks for coming tonight. It was great to see you.

Robin said...

Unfortunately, the reality is that it's going to take me a LONG TIME just to get out of Texas. That's just the way it is...even in the car. It will probably take until next year sometime. But wherever I'll be on Nov. 6, I will send you birthday greetings. :)

I had a lot of fun at Card Camp tonight, and it was good to see you, too. I am excited to show off my new cards.

Wendy said...

I can't wait for you to reach your goal. I'll be looking for your postcards!

Unknown said...

Good luck, Wobin!!! Can I go to Boston too? Do I have to walk 1,900 miles?????

Russell Schwausch said...

OK, if you can walk to Boston, maybe I will swim to Boston. I just started swimming at Deep Eddy pool. I plan to go twice a week and swim 1/2 mile each time. Hmmmm, that isn't going to get me to Boston in this lifetime. So I am going to count my bike rides too. If I do that, I might make it in 2 years.

I'm glad we could spend time together yesterday, even if I didn't get anything much creative done.