Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Zachary's First Day of Gymnastics

After much discussion over the past few months, Chris and I decided that it was time to enroll Zachary in some type of preschool class that would allow him more interaction with kids his age and that would help him learn new skills and to be more physically active. After seeing Zachary get so excited about swimming lessons this summer and the way it built his confidence, we decided that a preschool gymnastics class might be a great way to encourage him further.

After doing a bit of research on classes for 3 year-olds, I was finally able to find a class at The Little Gym that didn't require him to be potty-trained or for me to do gymnastics right alongside him. After all, it would be tough for me to focus on back handsprings while trying to keep Ashley from wandering off with everyone else's socks and shoes. :)

I wasn't sure what to expect of this class, aptly named the Funny Bugs. There were 2 teachers and about a dozen kids, all 3 and 4 years old, of which most were girls. Zachary was one of about three boys. Until today, Zachary had no idea what gymnastics was all about. I still don't think he has a clue, but he sure did have a great time. He wore a smile from ear to ear that lasted just about the entire time.

Zachary's class will meet every Wednesday for an hour beginning at 11:45. There is a nice sized "gym" with several different apparatuses including a balance beam, a vault, an inflatable trampoline, uneven bars, even bars...I didn't even get to see everything. The class meets in the gym and the parents and siblings wait in an adjacent room separated by glass windows so we can all watch the commotion.

I could tell that several of the kids in this class have either had prior training or else they learn awfully quickly. As the semester started three weeks ago, Zachary got a little bit of a late start, but there is no time like the present to begin something new. This class is supposed to help the kids, among other things, improve their gross motor skills. The kids practiced their entrances and did some stretching and then split into two groups before moving from one station to the next. They did some forward rolls and climbed through "the big doughnut" and played a silly game that all the kids loved called "Smash the Cheese". The teachers would hold up a lightweight foam triangle, and, one-by-one, each kid would plow into this thing, knocking it down, and then "slide" down it. I think this was Zachary's favorite part of today's class. Afterwards, Zachary exclaimed, "I have a fun day!" And he talked about "Smash the Cheese" all evening. I really think Zachary is going to enjoy this class.

We celebrated the first day of "school" with a late lunch at McDonald's. On our way over there, I asked Zachary if he wanted to take lunch home, but he insisted that we had to go inside. I guess he has learned that it isn't nearly as much fun to go through the drive-thru, because there is no playscape at home that is as much fun as the one at McDonald's. I noticed, however, in the rearview mirror, that Ashley was close to falling asleep. She hadn't had her nap, and she needs that everyday. I didn't want Ashley to sleep through lunchtime, so I tried to keep her attention so she wouldn't nod off. I wasn't doing much good, and then Zachary jumped in to help. "Come on, Ashley! You not sleepy...you HUNGRY!!!" Luckily, we kept her awake and were able to make it through lunch and playtime without a problem. I just love how Zachary is learning to negotiate with his sister already. They are the best little playmates.

Here are a few pictures of the celebratory feast.


2 comments:

Wendy said...

I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to take a Mommy and me gymnastics class?!? Anyway, it sounds like he had a lot of fun. Maybe I should join a class, too.

Kelly said...

You've got a little sales person in training, using the power of suggestion over his little sis. That's such a cute little story, hoping to get his wishes to eat inside.