Tuesday, September 4, 2007

How Do You Spell "Fun"?


For some reason, I have felt the urgent need to relax and just have fun lately. Maybe it is because our family did SO MUCH TRAVELING this summer that I am happy just to be at home again without anything on the agenda. That does happen occasionally! And since we didn't have anywhere we had to go, the kids and I stayed indoors, which turned out to be a great idea, since it rained heavily this afternoon.

We were rained in yesterday, too, when we went to Grandma and Grandpa's house for a Labor Day cook-out with them and Uncle Matt. So after our wonderful meal, instead of taking the kids to a park, the adults played some fun games (Ticket to Ride and Scrabble) while the kids got to watch. Ever since, Zachary has been waiting very patiently for his turn to defeat me at Scrabble.

So, back to today... While we were hanging out at home, Zachary remembered that he was promised a game of Scrabble with Mom today. Well, how do you play Scrabble with a 3 year-old that doesn't understand the point of the game and can't spell? Well, I was about to find out. I divvied out the tiles and along comes Ashley, who never wants to be left out of the fun times Zachary gets to have. Of course not! So, as Zachary is lining up his tiles on the board in such a determined and methodical effort, Ashley is trying to remove them one by one. Zachary, being the more patient one of the kids, allowed Ashley to play along with him, which eventually resulted in the bag of tiles being emptied all over the living room floor. I decided it was picture time, so I hope you enjoy seeing my budding Scrabble champions-in-training.

The great part of Scrabble with a 3 year-old genius (if I do say so myself!) is the fun we had as Zachary picked up each tile, called out the letter (and was right every time) and named one thing that started with each tile's letter. I am always surprised at the new things Zachary learns to associate with the letters of the alphabet. "I" not only stands for "ice cream", but it also stands for "ice CUBES". "What the heck is an ice cube?!" is what I was probably thinking at age 3! I am so proud of Zachary and how much he loves to learn. I know he will be a great student someday, and oneday he WILL beat me at Scrabble!


Zachary: Boy Genius


"He's got the brains, but I've got all the looks!"

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Those pictures are adorable. I loved your last two lines of text, and had to smile when I saw Ashley's big grin.

I was curious how you'd pull off the Scrabble with a 3-year old, but you adapted it pretty well. Now I want to get our Scrabble out to play it with MY kids! You're a trend setter, Robin.

We'll be playing Scrabble this Friday night! (Remind me if I forget.)

Wendy said...

Looks like you all had a lot of fun with the Scrabble. Those kids get smarter and cuter everyday.