Thursday, September 13, 2007

Zachary's Second Day at the Little Gym

Zachary went to his second day of gymnastics yesterday at the Little Gym, and I didn't even have to twist his arm. ;) I forgot to mention last time that each class will have a different theme that the teachers work into that day's activities. I'm sure there's a reason they do that, but I just haven't figured out what it is yet. Anyway, the theme of the day this time was "Good Manners", so as the kids paraded around to the different stations, the teachers had them practice saying "please", "thank you", and "excuse me." Zachary is already great at saying those things anyway, but a little positive reinforcement never hurts.

Today, the kids got to play a game with a giant parachute. It seemed that they all really enjoyed that. At one moment, I noticed that Zachary was running around underneath while everyone else was holding onto their piece around the outside of the circle. I wasn't sure if he was SUPPOSED to be doing that or not, but perhaps that was part of the game and I just happened to be watching when it was his turn to go under the parachute. A little while later, the teachers assisted each child across the balance beam. By the way, this is an actual full-sized piece of gymnastics equipment, so it was probably a good 4 feet off the floor. I could see Zachary's face light up when he was called over to take his turn. He is such an enthusiastic little boy anyway, but he was really enjoying his chance to try something new. Afterward, the kids practiced "monkey jumps" (hopping around on all fours with their arms and legs semi-straight so as to appear like a gorilla, I guess) and then a skill on the uneven bars (the low bar) that the teachers called "pizza legs" because the kids are supposed to make a "V" with their legs, their toes pointing upward toward the bar while holding onto the bar with their hands. Every time he remembered practicing "pizza legs", he lsughed and said, "That was fun! That sound so silly!!!"

Ashley wanted to get in on the action today and tried numerous times to convince me to open the door to the gym so she could go in with her brother. I felt sad that I couldn't allow her to have fun like Zachary, but maybe someday she'll get her turn. Not happy about having to sit out in the waiting area with me, she tried to go shoe shopping again over at the cubbyholes. As class was dismissing, I was having a conversation with another mom and Ashley wandered off. Zachary ran over to me and said, "Where's Ashley?" I turned around in my chair and saw that Ashley was standing up against the far wall with all the other kids who were lined up to get their hands, feet and tummies stamped, and by golly, she was not going to be left out this time! I never did find a stamp on her, so I hope she wasn't too sad. It's hard being the baby sometimes.

I'll have to get some pictures of Zachary at class sometime, but until then, here's a picture of his adorable little face the day he started gymnastics. :)

No comments: