Sunday, May 4, 2008

A Berry Happy Birthday To You!

Yesterday, we celebrated Ashley's 2nd birthday with our family here in town. First, we took the kids to Ready, Set, Play, which ended up being a lot of fun. It was something special for Ashley's big day, and we were not disappointed.



At first, Ashley was afraid to play in anything. I took her up to the top of this big, soft slide, and she did NOT want to go! She was kicking and trying to get away, but I knew (because I'm the mom) that if she just tried it, she would like it.


It took a couple times, but after that, she wanted to go over and over again, taking various family members with her at first. (She still did not want to go down alone.)



By the end, she was climbing up to the top all by herself and dodging the older kids that did not seem to pay any attention to her. She is a tough girl!




Afterwards, we came back home and had hot dogs for lunch. Uncle Matt came to join us, and Grandma and Grandpa brought a big bouquet of balloons for Ashley. I did some simple decorations, and while in the middle of putting up some streamers, Zachary asked me what I was doing. When I told him I was decorating, Ashley started saying, "I dec'ate! I dec'ate!" She was really into the colorful crepe paper.



After lunch, we tried to get Ashley to open her birthday presents, but I had a feeling it wouldn't go as planned. A present was handed to her, and she looked at it, and then, instead of opening it, she laid her little head down on it. It was past naptime, and by her own choice, she took a break from the party to rest up for the remainder of the festivities. The rest of us played Taboo and Bananagrams during the intermission. After an hour or so, we got Ashley up and expedited the eating of the cake (angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream) and she did finally open her presents.



Since one of her favorite things these days is Strawberry Shortcake, that was sort of the "theme" for her party, I guess you could say. (I really didn't exactly plan anything until a day or 2 before.) Anyway, almost everything she got had Strawberry Shortcake on it.




My brother, Matt, is 23 and thought the excess of strawberry-scented gifts was some sort of joke. He made me laugh so hard yesterday that I literally cried. One day, maybe he will get married and have kids and then he will know why parents would do such a thing for their kids. (OK, I admit...Grandma and I were 100% responsible for the explosion of fruitiness that rocked our house yesterday.) It was a blast!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Yeah, tell your brother to just wait. My husband never thought he'd know all the names of the My Little Ponies and their corresponding cutie marks either. Time changes us all.

Kristin said...

I don't have a hard time imagining Rich knowing these things. That is hilarious though. That is so cute that she took a break for a nap like that. Sounds like you had a great party. How fun

Kristin said...

Is that one of those places full of inflatable slides trampolines and such? We have one of those here and we took the family for Sam's birthday last Monday. The best part was the contented look on their faces as they slept. . .4 minutes after tucking them in. They wore themselves out having so much fun.

Kelly said...

What a fantastic celebration for Ashley. I'm glad your parents and Matt were there too. That place looks fun.