Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Identity Crisis

As I am sure you have probably noticed by now, I have changed my blog title AGAIN. I can't seem to find a blogging identity that seems to really fit, but this seems to be it for now. And, not to disappoint you or anything, but it may change again if I think of something else I like better. For now, though, Alphabet Soup seems to work for a few reasons.

Some people may not immediately realize that A & Z are my kids. We didn't intentionally choose their names so they could be a set of "bookends", but I liked the idea when a friend pointed that out to me. Now we just have to come up with 24 other names that start with all the other letters. JUST KIDDING. Even if we don't end up with more children, at least I've got the beginning and the end covered.

Another reason for the new title is this: When I was a junior in high school, there were four of us with the same oft-mispronounced last name: my brother, my sister, my dad's cousin's daughter, and I. Lo and behold, we all attended an awards assembly at the end of the year, and our last name was pronounced 4 different ways and probably by the same person. I distinctly remember telling my sister later, "When I get married, I want to marry a Smith or a Brown. *BUT, WATCH!* I will marry someone with a Polish last name." The Polish, I thought, were notorious for using just about every letter of the alphabet in their names. And the heavens heard me say that and shook with laughter. Sufficiently humbled, I finally met and married Chris almost 10 years later. I know, I should have hyphenated, shouldn't I?

Finally, with 2 young children at home (one of which is highly obsessed with letters and numbers and is now passing that along to the other), we hear A LOT of the ABC Song going on at our house. Zachary even does his own improv version that goes something like this:



So, yes, Alphabet Soup. For now.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

I think it's a great title! You are so creative!

I went to school with many of my cousins. My cousin Kurt was a football star and at the games they would ALWAYS mispronounce our last name! Even AFTER my uncle walked up to them and told them how to pronounce it. At the beginning of each school year, I always knew the teacher was calling my name when she would say Heidi.... (long pause). : )

Stephanie T said...

I think it is great! I love your new title. Okay, so 2 down 22 more kids to go. Maybe if you get on right on it, you can do it if you have a couple sets of quadruplets!
I know Zachary may very well be teaching his sister new letters and words but it's quite likely it's also due to the fact that Ashley has super smart parents.

Kristin said...

YOu TOTALLY Should have Hyphenated. That would have been awesome. I love your blog.

madfam said...

We Love it!! Good Job buddy. Kati loves looking at this over and over.

Robin said...

Thanks for all of your feedback and support! I am enjoying the blog more now that it seems to have a more appropriate look and feel to it.

Heidi, YES, I know all about the long pause. I will endure that until the end. :)

Stephanie, I would love to have a couple of pairs of quadruplets, but then somebody else would need to have my calling, because I just don't think I would have the time. HA! Thanks for thinking I'm smart! :)

Kristin, yes, I definitely should have hyphenated...and we should be a hyphenated family where all the kids have both of our last names, but no sense in making them learn how to pronounce AND spell 2 names that nobody will ever be able to say anyway (long pause.)

Giselle, I am so glad you are sharing the blog with Kati! I didn't realize Zachary knew anything about this (other than pictures I sometimes show him) until today when he mentioned (several times) "Mommy's blog." Maybe he is reading it, too, and I just don't know it. HA HA!

Kelly said...

Okay, I've updated you again on my blog roll. For now. lol. I like this one and think it fits. But I'm fine if your identity crisis continues.