Monday, June 16, 2008

My Husband's Hidden Talent

For anyone wondering if I was making up all that stuff about Chris liking to bake, I have to brag on him just a little bit. Chris is a man of many talents, but here is one that many people do not know about. He is the designated cake decorator in our family. I didn't know about this before we got married, so I like to think of it as a nice bonus. I am amazed at some of the things my husband can do that most guys don't typically do. In this case, it's a skill that many women can't do well (unless your name happens to be Alison and you happen to also be my neighbor, and then that's another story!) I would love to learn the fine art of cake decorating, but I will be the first to admit that I simply do not have any artistic ability whatsoever. Chris, on the other hand, just watched his mom decorate cakes over the years and picked it up just like that. Go figure!

Here is the (belated) birthday cake he made for Zachary yesterday so we could celebrate again with my sister who is visiting from Boston this week.



I was most impressed with the Elmo cake he made for Zachary's 2nd birthday:



And he asked me to add a shot of the monkey and giraffe cakes he made for Zachary's first birthday (we did a party with a jungle theme.)





I have to keep getting on Chris' case because he hasn't made one of his special cakes for Ashley, but to his defense, her birthday falls right before finals, and I guess those are kind of important. But, Chris, if you are reading this, I am helping her keep track and she knows you owe her big! ;)

8 comments:

Kristin said...

That is awesome. He is way talented. I love that Tim has a lot of talents that are typically female too. He can sew and cook quite well. I have no problem with that. I consider it a bonus that I didn't know about either. Congratulations on your catch!

Sarah said...

That's amazing! You are a lucky girl!

Heidi said...

Awesome cakes! If you want to learn how to decorate cakes, you can take classes at Michaels (do you have those?). Although, I say let Chris keep doing it! I took a class and it was fun! Even though I can now make my own cakes, I find it very time consuming-- making the cake, making the frosting, coloring the frosting different colors and then decorating. Then when it is done, everyone else thinks it looks great but I see every imperfection and am unhappy with the final result. So, I rarely make my own.

Does Chris use shaped pans or cut the cakes into the shapes? Does he make his own frosting or is there one you can just buy that he likes? Kids do like when their parents make the cake. : )

Robin said...

I would love to take a class sometime, and lucky for me, we do have Michael's and Joann's where the classes are offered. You are right, though...it is time-consuming and since I've got an experienced cake decorator critic in the family (LOL), I plan to allow him to continue contributing to the family festivities by providing the cakes while I'm always good for the clean-up. :)

I have no problem with this "feminine" side, either, Kristin. I'm all for it! In fact, I thought pedicures would be right down his alley since he loves to paint miniatures and actually requested that he study up to learn this art as well, but for some reason he said no. I figured it would save him money, but he didn't go for it.

Robin said...

Chris uses the shaped pans, but he makes his own frosting. If it were up to me, I'd probably go with something store-bought for the sake of simplicity, but now that we, er, I mean CHRIS has a new mixer, I may have to experiment with recipes to find one that I like.

Stephanie T said...

Wow, he's really good! At least he has something to fall back on if, you know, the being in the top 5% at law school doesn't quite work out:-)

Robin said...

Stephanie-You are funny! Much to his dismay (LOL), it doesn't look like Chris is going to be quite so pleased with his academic standing, but you know Chris! Oh well. Can't win 'em all. He put forth a valiant effort, and I am beyond proud of him for all he has accomplished. Now, we are just crossing our fingers that one of these places will offer him a job. Otherwise, I'll pass along your suggestion that maybe he can find a bakery that might hire him. :)

Kelly said...

He did an excellent job. I'm impressed.