Friday, July 4, 2008

Freedom Can Mean A Lot of Things

Happy 4th of July! How I wish I felt that a little more sincerely, but I'm sure you'll forgive me for being trite just this once. Well, in case you need an excuse to sit in that chair a little longer, here is a post about what we did today to celebrate the freedoms we enjoy here in this country.

We spent the day relaxing in the comfort of our own home, something I am truly grateful to have. (But actually, if you want the honest truth, we were just being lazy. Hey, freedom is the freedom to act or not act, right?) So, I think I slept in until about noon, letting Chris get up with the kids. I think that falls under the category of women's rights, doesn't it? Later, we thought about seeing a movie and agreed that the only one out that the kids might like that we haven't already seen is Wall-E. We decided to go see that, but as we were walking out the door, it became clear to us that Ashley really needed a nap instead. Going out as a family was a nice thought, however short-lived it was. I really am thankful for that freedom, too...to be able to come and go as I choose. When it was about a quarter til eight, we thought we'd pull ourselves together and head over to the park to watch the fireworks, figuring that the Fourth of July might be anticlimactic if we spent the whole day at home and missed fireworks. I don't know why we would think that, but having the liberty to think for ourselves is another truly wonderful blessing I enjoy.

The hour-long wait before the fireworks began seemed to take three hours because the kids still haven't learned how to sit still for any stretch of time and do as they are told. My bad. I forgot that kids have freedoms, too. Just like at church, the kids went after the snacks as soon as we found a parking spot on the hard ground. (It was all we could muster to get ourselves out of the house, so we didn't think to bring chairs or a blanket to sit on.) After the excitement of eating Ritz crackers and Cars Teddy Grahams by the handfuls wore off, Ashley wanted demanded to leave, and she stormed off more than once with a mental note that said, "Follow me and see if I care." Again, in case you aren't following, we are talking about independence here. Zachary wanted to exercise his freedom of speech by providing a non-stop commentary to everything that was going on around us complete with additional ear-splitting sound effects. Hey, at least we were outdoors and nobody seemed to care but us.

Just as we were really starting to lose our patience with the kids, a nice lady behind us offered and gave the kids each a glow-in-the-dark bracelet. It was really a random act of kindness for which I was thankful, but unfortunately it had the unintended effect of stirring up an argument between the kids. Zachary thought that one was for him. Ashley let him know otherwise in no uncertain terms. Chris and I became referees for the next 15 minutes or so until the children found a common ground by separating the ends of their bracelets and turning them into weapons of war. (Right to bear arms?) Better that they should be allies in that case. Ashley thought it was funny to try and intubate me with hers, and Zachary swung his around wildly in the faces of strangers. Perhaps by divine intervention, a whole gang of Bikers Against Child Abuse came and sat down beside us. I was getting darn close to losing it with the kids, but the thought of one of those burly bikers coming after me for spanking my kids in public...just wasn't worth it. (I'm not sure parents have that freedom in this country anymore, do we?)

The fireworks started and couldn't have ended fast enough. The lesson I learned tonight is that freedom has another meaning, especially when we're thinking in terms of a kid's point of view. Maybe next year we will remember that and solemnly swear to stay home with them. There's certainly nothing unconstitutional about that!

Happy Fourth of July, y'all.


Wearing our red, white, and blue.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Sorry you had so much trouble with your children at the fireworks. We often experience those kind of outings! We got lucky at the fireworks because there was a huge steep hill right in front of our blanket and the kids wore themselves out running up and down it while we waited for the fireworks. Try not to let this keep you from going next year. : )

Heidi said...

By the way, your children may have been stinkers last night but they sure are adorable!

Robin said...

Thanks, Heidi! I know it is a lot to expect of the kids...to make them sit still for an hour and wait for something they don't really understand is going to be fun if they can just hold out. We won't really stay home next year (not as a result of this experience anyway.)

I am glad that your family had a fun time watching the fireworks last night.

Kristin said...

I am glad I am not the only one who has kids that act out like that. I exercised my rights to stay at home completely and skip the big show...but we got to see some good ones anyway.