Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Ten Things I Am Celebrating Today

1. The 30th anniversary of The Cheesecake Factory! Thanks to my awesome VT companion and friend, Stephanie, who passed along the news, the kids and I made a trip across town to enjoy lunch and cheesecake at $1.50 a slice. Ashley, of course, had Strawberry, I had my usual White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle, and Zachary chose the Snickers. We braved the masses and the kids were incredibly good for me. I felt like Supermom afterwards. I love celebrating with my wonderful kids!

2. The arrival of my new "nephew", Garrison Elvis Christensen. This is the son of my good friend and former roommate, Jean. I talked to her just a little while ago, and everyone is doing well. Garrison weighed 7 lb. 8 oz. and is 20" long.

3. My birthday...is tomorrow. I feel like I've been celebrating all week (and half of last week.) I love my birthdays, even though I never feel like I've gotten any older. My dad is coming to take me and the kids out tomorrow night to celebrate. My mom took us out to lunch last week (because she's in Boston visiting my sister for 2 weeks) and I'm sure we will celebrate with Chris when he gets home this weekend. In between all of that, I have enjoyed and appreciated all the birthday wishes and cards from family and friends. Thank you!

4. I found my driver's license! I went to the bank to cash a check today and couldn't find it anywhere. I finally left and went home to search for it there, still to no avail. I was positive I had it this weekend while I was out doing some shopping, so I called a few places I have been since then--also with no luck. I kept searching, and finally I decided to say a little prayer that I would know where to look for it. I got up and looked at the bag I always take swimming, and I was SO SURE that it wasn't in there. I don't remember the last time we went swimming, but I know it was over a week ago and I never leave my license in there. With a look of "Whatever, I know you're not in there!", I unzipped the inside pocket, and sure enough... That's why I am also celebrating...

5. Answers to my prayers!!! And the fact that I don't have to go get a new license made ASAP. Seeing as I need that license next month for my trip to Southern California, I was very worried that I wouldn't be able to get a new one sent to me in time. Never underestimate the power of prayer!

6. Did I mention I'm going to California?! Wooohooo! I am really excited! This was an unexpected trip, as I had no plans to do any leisure travel while Chris is still in school, but the stars all seemed to line up just right and we were able to get a great deal on our tickets. The kids and I will be staying with Jean, whom I haven't seen since she was a bridesmaid at my wedding reception almost 7 years ago. It has been a crazy 7 years that have taken us on quite a rollercoaster, but our friendship is stronger than ever and I'm excited to meet her husband, Dustin, and her 2 kids, 4 year-old Faith and little Garrison, for the first time. This will also be her first time to meet Zachary and Ashley in person. (By the way, for many who are reading this, YES, I feel INCREDIBLY GUILTY that I won't be seeing you this time around, but hopefully someday I will!)

7. Chris will be back home in about 24 hours. He has spent half of last week and all of this week in Dallas doing work-related things, and do I miss him! I will be happy to have him come home tomorrow night. I also know a couple of kids that can't wait to see their Daddy!

8. A friend who called me up out of the blue just to find some time to hang out. She is also my faithful partner in my church calling, and she is GREAT!--another answer to a prayer. Along with her, I'm celebrating all of my dear friends who are a wonderful example to me and whom I love! I am so thankful for all of you!

9. My family...every last one of you...reading this blog or not. I can't go without mentioning how much I love you all and am grateful for all you do for me and my little family. There are too many things to mention, but each one of you is deeply appreciated!

10. My faith, which has been strengthened these past few weeks in various ways, through various people. I am gratefully indebted!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Sounds like you have much to be greatful for. Nothing like losing your drivers license. YIKES. I am SO GLAD you found it. It too love my birthdays even though I never feel any older. . but maybe that is why we love our birthdays...if we felt older we might not like them as much. Enjoy having your hubby back and have a VERY Happy Birthday! I am so glad you are someone I get to interact with every day even if it is just on computer. You are a great friend.

Robin said...

I did have a great birthday, thanks! I am grateful to know you, too, and to have shared some very memorable years with you. Not that these aren't some of the best years of our lives, but so were those. I'll never forget them.

Kelly said...

Happy belated birthday, Robin! I was in Las Vegas dining at the Cheesecake Factory two days before the big cheesecake sale, wishing I could enjoy the $1.50 slice in two days, but I was no where near one by then, but rather in the middle of Southern Utah, hardly in cell phone range, let alone cheap cheesecake range. It seems like your life is going well, and I can sense your joy. I'm really happy to read about this! Nice post, Robin. I'm happy for you!