Saturday, July 5, 2008

WALL-E


We just got back from seeing WALL-E, so I thought I'd add my review along with those of other movies we have seen recently. I'll bluntly give this one a thumbs-down but add a note here that I didn't get to see the show in its entirety. (I saw just a little more than the first hour.) We forgot to take Ashley's blankie, and we were seated right next to the stairs (the ones with red glowing lights on them) and those were quite a distraction for her. I could tell within the first few minutes of the opening scene that this wouldn't hold her interest, and I suspected that it would also be difficult for me to get into it. Try as I might, I found myself a little bored throughout, as it lacked humor as well as a good dialog. I mean, really, the 2 main characters (WALL-E and Eve) are robots, so what more can be expected? They communicated without words.

OK, I'll admit it. Part of the reason I give WALL-E a thumbs down is because I simply do not enjoy futuristic movies. They take me back to the childhood torture of enduring the likes of Tron and Star Wars with all its sequels and pre-sequels. (Seeing Tron in the theater for my 7th birthday remains a long-lasting bad memory for me.) Watching Ashley entertain herself by climbing up and down the stairs reminded me of the tactics I tried to make the time pass by more quickly during shows that I wasn't enjoying. My tactic during Tron was to try to fall asleep, so is it any wonder why I am notoriously known for sleeping through movies? Let's just say that I trained myself early and it has taken several years to reverse that habit. While I didn't fall asleep through WALL-E, I also didn't mind having to take Ashley out and miss the second half. I guess I could have missed out on a nap, though.

I hope that everyone else who sees this movie will like it more than I did. Chris says that he enjoyed it, but he also appeared bored everytime I looked over at him. We won't be running out to add this one to our collection.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I meant to write you last night after reading your last post on bloglines and warn you about Wall-E. My father and I took Jack, Abby and Joshua to see it the first day it came out. I must say that I was so bored I thought about taking a nap during the movie. My father didn't enjoy it either but my children did enjoy it. I wish we had seen Kung-Fu Panda instead--I'd still like to see that one!