Friday, August 10, 2007

Day One -- Journey to the Land of "Nod"

I stayed up too late the night before we set out on our trip to Nebraska. Instead of getting caught up on my sleep like I needed to, I realized that I might actually have a chance to work on making some cards on this vacation. So, I was up until 3:30 a.m. sorting through papers, stamps, embellishments, tools, and idea books that I may want to use. I really hope I get some make cards, since I won't have my usual obstacles that keep me from it. I am really excited!

We got up just after 7 a.m. I knew that Chris would be driving the first leg of trip, so I would get to go back to sleep. One great thing about being in the car for such long stretches is that I have no choice but to ignore the children when they don't like having to sit in carseats. We appropriately packed plenty of books, some toys, blankies and LOTS and LOTS of treats! There was nothing else I needed to do, so I reclined my seat back and got some rest. When I woke up a while later, Chris was ready to stop for food. None of us had gotten breakfast before we'd left, as none of us is usually up that early in the morning, so we stopped at Jack in the Box for "brunch". The kids were in such a good mood...being each other's little sidekicks and laughing and enjoying a break from the car. It was good to get out, but I decided that Steak & Cheese Ciabattas at 10:00 a.m. is just not something I want to get used to.

After we got back on the road, I wasn't as tired, but I did nod off a couple of times, making the next leg of the trip go by a little faster. By noontime, I was sufficiently rested and got out my first Cherry Coke of the trip. I knew there wasn't any going back after the caffeine kicked in, but I didn't want to go back to sleep at that point. With the kids being so good in the backseat (just an occasional complaint here and there), Chris and I ended up having a chance to really talk...about the future, our kids, our concerns, our hopes and dreams, our families, and the bottom line, our commitment to each other. It was one of the best conversations I have had with him in a really long time. Being away from the distractions at home was wonderful.

I drove the second leg of the trip, which spanned from Oklahoma City to Salina, Kansas. There really isn't much to see along the way, so that enabled us to talk so much. Eventually Chris needed a nap, but he didn't sleep for long, as he has trouble in the car. I think he worries about my driving. I have a tendency to speed, and there were a lot of cops out on the road. "Do you know what the speed limit is?" he'd quiz me. "Ummm...eighty-two and a half?" I think he just has a hard time sleeping, period. When it was time to stop for gas again, Chris traded off with me and drove the last leg of the trip. We stopped in ... who knows where to grab dinner. I think we may have just been entering Nebraska by then.

I couldn't stay awake for the last part of the trip. The sleep deprivation kicked in around 9 p.m., though I occasionally woke to the kids' happy sounds and I went back to sleep satisfied. I awoke just as we made it into Omaha, and we pulled into Grandma and Grandpa's driveway at 10:30. After unpacking and a short visit, we were all ready for sleep. Actually, the kids were wired, but WE were ready for them to go to sleep so that we could, too. The feeling of crawling under the covers on that big fluffy bed was...heaven!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Robin, I'm excited to read your entries, but am just at day one before Kelly and I go watch a movie. Right on schedule here, starting it at 11 pm! It's so nice to hear you and Chris had a good heart to heart conversation about all those important topics. It's also great that your two little ones were nice to each other and in great moods early in the morning. I'm looking forward to reading more entries, hoping that you will get to make some cards eventually. I've been on that road trip from OKC to Salina a few dozen times on my way to Colorado, going through Oklahoma to see family. It's a straight shot, and boring. But it's also my home! At least the OKC area is. I hope you're having a nice getaway.