Friday, August 10, 2007

Day Two--The Park Here Stinks, but Archiver's is Sweet!







Grandma and Grandpa both had to work today, so the rest of us slept in but got up around 9:30. By the way, we are staying in the "basement", which is really more like a cozy suite that is separated from the other bedrooms. I prefer it, actually, and feel better knowing that the kids aren't going to wander out and fall down the stairs. Anyway, when we went upstairs for breakfast, what did we find, but 2 dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts, Frosted Flakes, Froot Loops, Twinkies, Ding Dongs, chips, popcorn, M&Ms... I'm not kidding. Just thinking about all that sugar makes me feel like I'm going to have convulsions. Guess Grandma and Grandpa know what kids will eat without complaining! I had plain ol' boring Cheerios, which I found hiding among the other stuff, because I couldn't stand the thought of any more sugar.

We didn't have any plans for today since we were on our own, so I looked online to see if there's an Archiver's store here. I still haven't been to the one back home, but it piqued my curiosity and since Chris didn't mind, why not check it out? It turned out there is one and it's only about 5 minutes from the house. It was right by the Best Buy, so we had to stop there first so we could get a spare rechargeable battery for our camera and so that Chris could look around at what he likes, too. It wasn't as hard finding Archiver's as it was finding my way out. That place is AWESOME--my new favorite store! I really didn't stay for as long as I could have. I did get a few things--some Stickles, some ribbon, and a couple of stamp sets unlike any I already have. Love that place!

Grandpa was home from work when we returned. We visited with him, and later on, while he was holding Ashley (who was trying to nap), I escaped downstairs and made a birthday card for my sister-in-law, Karen. My own personal opinion of the card was that it looked like my first card--it was flawed and unimpressive. Karen will appreciate it, though, because she knows that I never get things done on my own. That is, after all my talking of wanting to make cards and buying a truckload of stuff to get started, I finally did something with it. I used my own stuff, adapted an idea from a book we both have and did it completely independently. That, in itself, was an achievement for me.

Grandma still wasn't home from work by that point, so Chris decided to take Zachary to the park. I wouldn't let him take Zachary and not Ashley, so even though what I REALLY wanted to do was work on more cards, I took Ashley and went out with the boys. Grandpa thought we were crazy, because it was still hotter than 90 degrees outside at 6:00, and he stayed at home. The walk to the park wasn't really long, but as we got closer, I noticed an awful smell permeating around the area. It smelled like a sewer--gross! As we got closer to the playground, the smell, luckily, dissipated. That was a plus, but I still didn't like the park, because it was one of those that is like a giant sandbox and I was wearing my new sandals and couldn't keep the sand from getting inside of them. The kids ended up being covered in sand by the time we got back to the house, and they had to have baths (again) before dinner. Other than that, the kids had a blast. Ashley LOVED her first ride on the merry-go-round, and Zachary favored the curly slide that had to be close to 15 ft. tall. I still can't believe he had the guts to climb all the way up.

After dinner, Chris and his mom and I played some board games...Settlers of Cataan and Ticket to Ride, 2 of our favorites. Chris' mom, especially, loves to play games when we visit, and I love playing with her because she's like me--once she starts, she gets hooked and wants to play game after game after game. Chris' dad isn't into games (unless it's Spades, which we WILL play another night), so he tinkered on the computer and watched Fox and the Hound with the kids. The kids love being here with their Nebraska grandparents, whom they don't get to see very much. I'm sure that they love seeing the kids, too, as they have grown so much since they last got to see them in January.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

That's a cute movie, Fox and the Hound. I haven't seen it in a long time, but I remember Lindsey loving it. Glad you found the Archiver's. It's so easy to melt away the time in there looking and gazing at everything.

That breakfast of champions cracked me up. As if the two dozen KK donuts weren't enough. I didn't know Ding Dongs were still made even. How funny!

What are the names of the new stamp sets you got? I can't believe you've been able to make some cards. Hope you're having fun!

Robin said...

Let's see, I got a set called Word Fun and one called Ribbons, both by Hero Arts. Later on, I was kicking myself for not getting something cuter, but there will be plenty more trips to Archiver's in the future. I actually used some of the Word Fun stamps on the card I made last night. I think it turned out cute, but there is something it still needs and I'm not sure what.