Friday, August 17, 2007

Home Sweet Home

We made it home safely yesterday after about 14 hours in the car. Except for seeing the huge sunflower farms (cool!) that we'd somehow missed on our way to Omaha, the car trip was unexciting and too long. We are happy to be in our home again, and I am anxious to return to some kind of normal schedule for the kids' sake as well as mine. Chris has been pretty good about recognizing that his schedule needs some adjusting before classes start up again, but I really need to get on the ball.

I spent the day unpacking and doing plenty of housework while Chris had to run to campus early this morning to complete an assignment for the intellectual property journal that he has been writing on this summer. I really have to give him credit for absolutely NEVER complaining about how hard school is or how much work he is asked to do. He just does it! What an inspiration. Not everyone truly loves to be in school the way he does, and I hope our children will inherit that from him, since their mom didn't love being in school that much. I hope they, in turn, will inherit an appreciation for how much work goes into maintaining a household from me, since they probably won't get much of that from their dad. :)

Chris returned home this afternoon, earlier than I expected, and willingly watched the kids so I could take a break. What a guy! I know that, come the end of August, I will not have the same opportunities to lean on him as I do now, so I need to and plan to take advantage of it while I can. Knowing that he had plans to go out and play his Warhammer games tonight, I decided to reward myself (for, you know, all the hard work I did earlier today and for the last year and all the years to come) with a pedicure and an inexpensive trip to Archiver's...which later got a little more expensive when I had to go back and look around some more with the kids in tow. After returning home, Chris left and the kids and I had Taco Bell for a quick dinner since I hadn't been to the grocery store to stock up. We raced back to Archiver's, found a few more things to add to my collection, and stopped by Grandma and Grandpa's house for a short visit. We were all plenty awake at 9:30, so we did the grocery shopping on the way home. The strawberries there looked beautiful, so we're going to do another jam session tomorrow, this time with Grandma.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Welcome home! I'm glad you had a nice getaway trip.

That's really impressive that Chris just toughs it out and does what he needs to do with law school without complaint. I love that.

Robin said...

I'm really proud of Chris for that, too. I get mixed up sometimes, though, and think that if he never talks about how hard it is, it isn't really that hard, but I sure don't want to trade places with him.