Sunday, March 23, 2008

Pardon my French, but this site rocks!


I love music. Among my favorite types is classical, but I'm not stellar at remembering composers' names or which music was written by each. It didn't occur to me until a couple nights ago (as I was trying to figure out the origin of a particular piece that was stuck in my head) how hard it is to satisfy that annoying need-to-know when it comes to classical music, mainly because a lot of it is purely instrumental. I started humming the melody and wondered how I could possibly get Google to translate that into the information I was looking for. I thought I would never figure it out and it was going to just bug me until I finally did. Don't you just hate that? I do.

And then I had an idea. I tried to think of everything I associated with this snippet of music. My gut instinct was that it came from Romeo and Juliet (a scene from a movie flashed in my head with two lovers running in slow motion toward each other), but based on my complete lack of interest in Shakespearean literature, I figured that I'd never seen Romeo and Juliet, or if I had, I had probably slept through it. I dismissed the thought but felt that I was headed in the right direction. I typed in "greatest classical love songs" and pulled up playlist.com where you can search and listen to music clips. I listened to several clips before I hit on another clue. I'd just finished listening to Tchaikovsky's music from Swan Lake. That wasn't it, but I felt like I was getting closer. The style seemed to fit, as I usually hear this music played on strings. What song was this??? It was driving me nuts. Then I came up with another clue: I was pretty sure that I'd heard this music used in Bugs Bunny cartoons when I was a kid. Hmmm... I set that aside while I opened a few of the sites that were pulled up on Google, and I found this site: kickassclassical.com. And, wouldn't you know it, Bugs Bunny's name was right there on the main page.

I love this site! It's like the closest thing to Cliff Notes for classical music, I think, only it's way better. Broken down by composer, this site offers previews of some of classical music's most famous composers and their most celebrated works and even makes them interesting by including some fun trivia about their music...like where you might hear them in the movies or which companies have used these songs in their advertising just to name a couple. "Kickass Classical features Classical Music's Top 100 Greatest Hits based on their exposure in today's pop culture." There's a ton of cool information and a handy little link to iTunes so you can download the music to your computer or the iPod Shuffle that the Easter Bunny might be bringing you or whatever. Very cool!

So, after playing around for awhile, it was back to business. Finally, I'd gotten far enough down the page to Tchaikovsky when, Cha-ching! I found my answer! Wouldn't you know, the music in question most certainly was (ta-da!): Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture! "Picture 'two lovers running toward each other in slow motion,'" {SMILE}

Guess they don't need to go to the trouble to rename their domain. No false advertising here.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

First of all I must tell you how excited I was to find another person who finds no joy in Shakespearean (sp?) Literature. THANK YOU for validating me there. It has been a long and lonely 35 years.
That sounds like a cool site. We have a CD called "Idiots Guide to Classical music" that plays like 30-60
second clips of classical songs and tells you what places you might have heard it on (cartoons, advertisments etc) that we like but your site sounds like it has a lot more to offer.

Robin said...

Would you also like to join my "Just Say No to Jane Austen" support group? We meet Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Oh, and Tuesdays and Thursdays. Saturdays and Sundays are booked.

Kelly said...

Holy moly, Robin! You've been busy blogging! I haven't been checking that much, but now I'll check more regularly since you're on a roll.

I love classical music, but can't identify most of it.

Robin said...

Kelly, I can't identify most classical music, either. Hence, the reason for this post!