Sunday, March 23, 2008

What's Cookin'?




Here is a very easy recipe that I like to make each year to eat with our traditional Easter feast. My grandmother first introduced it to me when I was a kid, and I have tweaked it just a little to make it more festive for Easter.



Watergate Salad

1 pkg. (4-serving size) JELL-O Pistachio Flavor Instant Pudding and Pie Filling
1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple, in juice, undrained
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1-1/2 cups thawed COOL WHIP
1 cup JET-PUFFED miniature marshmallows*

*I like using the FunMallows flavored miniature marshmallows, because they make this dessert look like colorful Easter eggs hidden in grass. For this reason, you could probably also add a little shredded coconut if you like.

COMBINE marshmallows, dry pudding mix, pineapple and pecans in large bowl until well blended.

ADD whipped topping; stir until well blended. Cover.

REFRIGERATE at least 1 hour before serving. Store leftovers in refrigerator.

Makes 8 servings (1/2 cup each)

6 comments:

Kristin said...

Robin, that sounds great. I will have to try that. Eric and his wife Angie came to Easter dinner today and she brought a yummy jello salad. I think Jello salads will have to be a new easter dinner tradition. They seems so "Spring"y. I will have to try yours. Thanks for sharing it.

Robin said...

I really like this recipe, but Chris and the kids will not eat it. I can sort of understand. Jell-O salads can be a little scary sometimes, especially if the ingredients include cottage cheese. We don't do cottage cheese. Aack! By the way, as I was having some of this earlier, I decided that while the colored marshmallows make it more pleasing to the eye, the plain ones give it the flavor I prefer.

Jack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi said...

The deleted comment is from me but I was signed in as Jack so I deleted it so I could change it. I didn't know it would still show up.

Anyway, is this your house? You actually have a dining room?! One day I will have one too! You did a great job setting the table. It looks very nice! We didn't have any company so it wasn't very dressy around here. We had to hurry because we had dinner before our 3:30 PM church. Seeing your picture, now I wish I had made it more special. Oh, well. There is always next year!

Robin said...

Sorry--I didn't mean to blog under false pretenses. NO, this is not my house! Our Easter celebration didn't look anything like this. That's why I had to find a picture on the web to use as an illustration. We don't really have a dining room either. It's kind of smooshed in with the kitchen and all my scrapbooking stuff.

Kelly said...

How funny, I thought that was your dining room too. My mom makes a similar recipe to this and it's pretty tasty.