Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Food Fights and Rave Reviews

I have had enough of the mealtime protests that have been going on lately at our house. I know I am mostly to blame, but with all the candy-ridden holidays we've celebrated between Halloween and Easter, the sugar levels in this house are enough to put us at risk for developing sudden-onset diabetes. If sugar could spontaneously combust, my kids would be close to being carmelized. From the time they get up in the morning to the time they go to bed, I hear this sporadic chirping throughout the day:

A: "Treat...Mah-mee!" Uh-huh! uh-huh! Treat! Peez? Treat!"
Z: "Please, Mommy, I wanna treat!"
A: "TREAT! MO' TREAT!"

Is it any wonder why actual FOOD doesn't sound so good anymore? (If they eat the candy, then at least I won't, but that doesn't mean it comes in a steady stream.) So when it comes to dinnertime, I know I'm supposed to let them eat whatever we're having, but occasionally I'll fix them something else just so I won't have to hear the complaints. I've decided to try again to make a concerted effort to do things the right way.

I made chicken fajitas for dinner last night, even though I know very well that my kids won't touch chicken (or any meat, really.) I got an unexpected response to the rice and beans, though:

Ashley: "Mmmmmmmm! Mummy!"
Zachary: "This is deeeeelicious!"

(And a few minutes later, after second helpings):

Zachary: "Oh, Mommy and Daddy...You're our best friends!"

Well, then! Beans and rice it is...

..every night until you grow up and leave home.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

We get the "treat" talk here too. Tim and I were just talking the other day about how we are done with the sugar holidays for a while. We do have Sams birthday next month however...but then nothing until July when we pig out on meat and meat by products (hotdogs) for 4th of July.
Don't you love it when kids actually like what you make for dinner? It is a miracle every time. You appear to have the same philosopy as we do though and that is if you don't like what I make..that is tough. Eat it or you'll starve tonight. The benefits are two fold: it builds character and prepares them for their missions!

Kelly said...

Beans and rice...sounds inexpensive!

My philosphy is to keep serving up all kinds of foods to the family and eventually they will like most of it. Although it helps if dad will eat it too!